CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 10, 2011

Day 1 - WINGS for Kids

To start out the year, I decided to choose a program that is near and dear to my heart...WINGS for Kids. Since it is already the 10th day of the year, I am going to donate $10 to account for days one through ten.

I volunteered as an after school tutor for three years at Memminger Elementary School in downtown Charleston as part of the WINGS program and LOVED it. This program is amazing, and the results are visible to anyone who observes these kids for just one afternoon.


The program has a website, www.wingsforkids.org,
which has a ton of info about the program and how you can help.

Last year when I was tutoring a first grade class, one of my students began to notice that I was getting large in the belly area. She asked if I was pregnant, and I told her and the rest of the class that yes, I was having a baby in August.

She continued to ask me every Monday if I had delivered the baby yet...I told her no, I still have a very large belly, and its getting bigger and bigger each week, and that it would be a couple more months before he was due.

Another one of my students asked if she could be the godmother. Another asked if she could name him. I told her that I was open to suggestions on the name front, and she came up with the perfect name she said. I asked "What is it?" She said, "Antwon!" I told her I would have to talk to husband, but that I would relay her name suggestion.

Needless to say, we didn't go with her suggestion, but she was so sweet to help me decide on names. I loved my time at Memminger, and if anyone is looking for a fun volunteer experience in Charleston, I would definitely suggest calling WINGS!

0 comments:

Post a Comment